Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Triacastela

Started the day with a bit of a howler. I paid for my room and after
a coffee headed off. Fifteen minutes later, I realized I hadn't
retrieved my passport from the hostal. So I trudged back for it
before setting off again.

Cebreiro was in the clouds and the icy wind was howling. For the
first time on this trip I was fully kitted-up, with a jumper under my
jacket, waterproof pants on and even gloves. I needed every bit of it
to keep the cold at bay.

Initially the mist was too dense for any sightseeing but it thinned
after a couple of hours. Then the magnificent hills came into view.

I stopped eventually for breakfast and asked for tortilla as usual.
The proprietor didn't have any prepared tortilla so she went and
cooked a delicious, light and fluffy omelet for me. Coffee, softdrink
and omelet cost 4.90€, great value.

Made it to Triacastela by mid afternoon and booked into Casa David,
a good spot where Gen and I stayed last year. Even better than last
year the heating is on!

Caught up with laundry, I was too tired to do it yesterday. It's now
on the line as it's much warmer but still windy at this lower altitude.

Luckily this blog doesn't have smell-o-vision. The aroma of all the
cattle stables lining the route really cleans out ones nostrils!

Met up with another Aussie, Ed, who I had not seen for several days.
At 5.00pm he was planning to walk the further 10km to Samos in order
to see the monastery there. A very long day.

In Galicia there are regular distance distance markers along the
way. Just before town I passed one saying 130km till Santiago.

Cheers
John

No comments: