Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Santiago Day 2

Ah! Cafe Rosalia, the best pinchos and tapas in town. This little
bar/cafe in Rua Do Franco (eat street!) is a special place where Gen
and I spent much time last year. It combines good service, a warm
atmosphere and great food. I had a fabulous lunch of various pinchos
and vino tinto, as tradition requires.

Earlier I had wander the streets before going to the Cathedral for the
daily, midday pilgrim mass. Much less crowded than in May but still
more peregrinos than I expected.

At the Cathedral I met up with Vernon and Hilda, I last saw them just
before Burgos - such a long time ago. We had drinks at the Parador
where they are staying. One day I will have to stay in that fancy
establishment instead of just visiting.

The snow yesterday fell in Cebreiro and on areas above 1000m, more is
expected today. Pity the poor peregrinos still walking in such
conditions.

I saw little wildlife while walking, the path is probably too well
travelled. This may be just as well! Yesterday, a 100kg, 180cm bear
was killed by a truck near Trabadelo. Trabadelo is between
Villafranca del Bierzo and Vega del Valcarce, an area where the camino
travels thru some fairly rugged terrain.

I had read in the local papers that bear and wolf attacks on livestock
are becoming more frequent in Spain (as best as I could translate the
articles). Could make walking in Spain even more interesting.

Tomorrow I fly to Barcelona for a few days before flying back to
Australia. I am not going to walk on to Finisterre, it's a walk too
far for me at present and it's too cold!

Cheers
John

No comments: