Friday, October 3, 2008

Burgos - Day 2

A very windy and chilly day in Burgos saw the end of my faithful
raincoat. My blue Mont coat was purchased in Hobart in about 1988.
It has accompanied me on many adventures ever since.

A large tear over the shoulder means that Monty is gone. So hello to
Gortex, we will see if this stuff is as good as claimed. The coat
plus matching pants set me back a whopping 288€, a considerable cost
but a big saving compared to gortex gear back in Australia. I just
hope it lasts as well as my blue coat.

Today started as a day for not finding things. Wanting to do my
laundry the easy way, I spent a great deal of time looking but never
found a laundrette. Detailed instructions from two different members
of staff (they sent me in opposite directions) didn't help. The
laundry is now handwashed and hanging in the bathroom.

Then I tried to find a shop I new which sells outdoors gear and coats
- no luck.

Next, I needed a bus ticket to go to Santo Domingo de Silos on
Sunday. Found the bus station but no buses on Sunday. Grrr

Finally, I found something. A Hertz rent-a-car outlet. So I've
booked their smallest car for a couple of days. Worked out quite
cheap but the thought of driving is a bit terrifying. Made sure I
have no excess to pay if things go a little pear shaped.

So, now feeling a bit relaxed I turned the corner adjacent to my hotel
and found the outdoors shop I had been looking for.

Sporting my brightly coloured coat, I found an Estrella de Galicia
restaurant. This is a Galician themed restaurant with outlets in such
places as Madrid, Vigo and Leon as well as here in Burgos. Gen and I
had eaten at their Leon restaurant. Fresh salad and croquettas for
lunch.

On the way back to my hotel for siesta, I said hello to a group of
pilgrims just in from St Juan. Their big grins and excitement at
reaching Burgos were a reminder of the best of the Camino.

Cheers
John

No comments: