Tuesday, October 21, 2008

O Cebreiro

A bit of a grueling walk today. I set out from Villafranca in cool,
cloudy weather. And with the firm intention of stopping at Vega del
Valcarce (23km).

Of course, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. The problem
was that I got to Vega a bit early - so just a little further ......

Then I was slogging up the hill to O Cebeiro in the driving rain.
Well I might as well keep going, it's only the cold, the exhaustion
and the pain that gets in the way.

So a bit over 30km travelled, but with the last mountain range climbed.

I finally trudged to O Cebreiro and the girl following me cries out
"what a beautiful mountain!". It's shrouded in rain and my legs hurt
like hell, yes it must be a beautiful mountain!! Argh!!!!

Had a couple of wines with Amelie and some other French peregrinos,
they are celebrating a compatriot's birthday, so don't want to intrude
over dinner.

Luis and I, I met Luis on the way up, drank red wine and discussed
many things over dinner. He is from Ponderrada but now lives in Madrid.

Luis is into film and is trying to complete a novel while working as a
barman. Our wide-ranging discussions were interesting and fun.

It was great to talk extensively with someone who really knows this
area!

The worse the day (physically), the better the day!

Cheers
John

No comments: