Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sahagun

As I had dragged my feet yesterday, today I set out to power my way to
my destination. Leaving at 8.10am I reached Sahagun at 12.40, that's
23km including coffee breaks (2) in 4.5hrs. Not too shabby for an old
bloke.

The terrain was again mostly flat with a few easy inclines. Flies are
still an issue so I hope to get some repellent later today, along with
deodorant and toothpaste. Haven't run out yet but soon ......

Found a great Hostal in Sahagun, just off the Plaza Major. It's
called the Escarcha, lovely quiet rooms for 20€. Can tell how good a
room is by the smell of the towels, in Barcelona they smelt like beer,
in Castrojeriz like soap, in most places like cigarettes but here they
smell like lemons - much better.

Flat battery in my camera today after 472 photos - sooner than
expected. I have a spare battery but no charger, hope it lasts the
distance. Plus another 110 or so on the phone.

Passed through Terradillos de los Templarios which is apparently the
half way point between St-Jean-Pied-de-Port and Santiago. Yay!

My personal halfway point will be somewhere around Astorga I think,
still some time away. That takes into account my detour to San Millan
but not Santo Domingo de Silos, as I didn't walk to the latter.

Still 63km till Leon which should take two more nights but might do it
with one more stop - will see how tomorrow's walking goes.

I'm looking forward to Leon as it evokes fond memories, also, from
them on I will be on familiar terrain.

Cheers
John

No comments: