Thursday, October 2, 2008

Burgos

A bittersweet day. Burgos is a major landmark on my way but I will
rest here for a couple of days before going to Santo Domingo de
Silos. So it is Buen Camino to all the peregrinos I have encountered
so far, I may not see then again.

The day started bitterly cold, I resorted to gloves which have not
been necessary before. Alto Atapuerca was the first obstacle, but not
too hard in the morning cold.

At the top of Alto Atapuerca were a series of spiralling stones. As I
wondered if this was a natural phenomenon or some ancient work, the
answer presented itself. Two peregrinos started adding stones to
expand the spiral, mystery solved.

Then a long hard slog into Burgos, asphalt for 19 of todays 27km.
It's odd how man-made surfaces hurt the feet so badly. Only 16C but
sunburnt on left side.

Found a cheap hotel inside the old city (35€ per night) but it's
bloody noisy, just as well I'm used to ear plugs.

Must get some sleep.

Cheers
John

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aah Burgos - a great little town, with good food, friendly people and great wine. enjoy your stopover won't you!