Monday, October 13, 2008

Mansilla de las Mulas

In Sahagun and Mansilla the battle rages. Who will win, the plump
human dinner or the fleas? It's 50/50.

The unfortunate facts of an Autumn Camino. Harassed by flies, wasps
and mosquitoes by day, one is subjected to the onslaught of fleas (and
mossies) at night.

Relieved that my dinners were fleas rather than bedbugs (yes, I know
the difference) I have evolved a simple strategy to get some sleep.

First, scour sheets for fleas - kill same. Then, coat oneself with
insect repellent - head to toe. Finally, get a little sleep. Must
buy some bug spray tomorow in Leon.

Today was a 37km marathon, I want to get to Leon. I've just had
enough of the meseta and the bugs! I guess it's just the wrong time
of year for this, can't imagine how it is in Summer.

Wrong time of year. Went to four hostel/hostal/hotel in Mansilla to
find one that was open. All 'cerrado' - closed. Accommodation and
food supply has reduced to meet demand, everything that is open is
full, just most things aren't open.

Met a lovely German couple as we scoured the streets for somewhere to
stay. Fortunately, their friends pointed us in the right direction.

Met Andreas and John from Germany (near Hanover) after dinner, they
are cycling the Camino on mountain bikes. They plan on 90km tomorrow,
I plan on 18.8km into Leon.

I keep having doubts about doing this thing, I'm not really into
pain. Then I meet nice people and it's all worthwhile.

Cheers
John


Sent from my iPhone

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh John, I read and think how I would love to be with you. But, fleas. There is a limited to even my camping "put up withs". Had five days away with "Billie" and the worst we had to contend with was Mosies. All is good here (except for the share market)and loving reading your bloggs. Keep up the great work. Love Chris (and Tony)