Saturday, October 25, 2008

Palas De Rei

The photo shows one of the better rest spots on the way today. Last
year, Gen and I stopped here for a break and chatted to Dick and Mary
from the USA.

Today, I stopped for lunch of tuna empanada and beer in the adjacent
cafe/bar. After lunch I chatted to Rory and Katrina from Dublin.

It's a good spot for a rest as there are still about 5kms to go to get
into town.

About 1km out from Palas, there is a sports centre, Centro Deportivo.
Today it was full of people, through open doors I could see what
looked like one thousand people sitting down to lunch. The music was
going full belt and many of the older people were in costume.

The day started out with very heavy fog that didn't clear until mid
morning. A bit chilly but good walking weather, once the sun came out
it was a glorious day.

The distance from Portomarin to Palas is listed as 26.1km. Mostly on
very good tracks and paths. Through hilly countryside with broadacre
farms, lots of tree plantations and with scattered house but few
villages.

The whole day seems to be gently uphill.

Saw a eucalypt plantation and these will be more common as we approach
Santiago.

I don't seem to have as much stamina as earlier on and I'm travelling
at a slowish rate, but get there in the end. I am oftened passed by
younger people who soon disappear into the distance.

One young lady from Germany is particularly fast. She is not tall and
carries a very big pack, she walks very fast with short, quick steps.
Each time she goes by we say hello, and each time she goes by I find
that I pass her again soon after - as she takes another rest.

The farm dogs have changed along the Camino, at least in a very broad
way. Initially there were lots of very big, white-coated dogs. Then
slighly smaller yellow-coated animals. Now, the majority seem to be
dogs that look like german shepherds.

'Summer' time here ends tomorrow, although I'm not scared that summer
time will fade curtains, the earlier start of daylight will be great.
It means that I can get on the road by 7:30am instead of after
8-8:30am. This will fit the daily schedule much better.

Cheers
John

No comments: