Sunday, November 2, 2008

Cobla Popular

Performers dedicated to that Catalan sound!

A couple of observations on Barcelona. Firstly, coffee in the tourist
and fancy restaurants seems to be made for tourist tastes. The only
place to get a decent coffee is to go to one of the small, local and
typically spanish bars (it's also a lot cheaper!).

Have also found that my poor Spanish (Castillian Spanish) is less
welcome here than elsewhere in Spain. Catalan is the local language
although most people know Castillian. It seems to be FAR more
acceptable for me to just use English.

I've found myself totally ignored when I use the phrases that have
served me quite well up till now. Serves me right, I guess, for my
poor language skills.

That said, it's still polite and acceptable to use the Spanish
greetings and farewells, and helps to know Spanish numbers.

My extended stay in Barcelona was unintended and forced on me by the
unavailability of an earlier flight home. I do love the place but
it's more fun with company.

Cheers
John

No comments: